Ten things I love about summer rainfall
OK, for some of us, it’s been hot and sultry. But for others, it’s been a damp summer so far. So why’s that automatically a problem?
- It gets the birds singing! (OK, they’re being territorial.)
- It gets the earthworms wiggling – pink and naked – on the green, green grass…
- Elderflower blossom – any blossom – smells much more intense.
- It frightens away bite-y insects. Except for midges. Nothing scares off midges!
- The ‘sturm and drang’ of an electric thunderstorm. Bring on the forked lightning!
- Watching sparrows queue to fluff their feathers in a fresh flowing puddle of water.
- A summer soaking is really revitalising. Especially after a long run.
- It showers sticky city pavements to carefree cleanliness.
- Rainwater tastes fantastic (watch the animals head for it).
- It’s free… as in ‘the best things in life are’.